Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stolen: II

As a follow-up to my last post, here's my list. Bold what you've eaten. Cross out what you have not. I tried to follow the spirit of the original list as closely as possible, by which I mean I tried to make a list of semi-obscure foods that would not be completely hard to find in a restaurant or market in the USA. At least that's the way I read the original list. If you'll notice, my list goes from one end of the globe to another. And my list leans heavily in favor of places I've lived for a long time (The American South) and places I've visited (Japan...twice). Enjoy.

Mochi
Takoyaki
Chicken Heart
Natto (though reluctant, I think I tried it, maybe)
Okonomiyaki
Fresh Wasabi (I mean FRESH, not the shit they give you at a sushi place in the USA)
Red bean ice cream
Sochu
Kimchee
Bitter Melon
Raw Crab
Papaya Salad
Mangosteen
Black Egg
Pig's Blood Soup
Chicken Feet
Roti Canai
Wild Boar
Vietnamese Iced Coffee
Dosai
Turkish Coffee
Trappist Ale
Jamon Serrano or Jamon Iberico
Deep Fried Snickers
Moon Pie
Quail
Boiled Peanuts
Pickled Okra
Cracklin' Corn Bread
Turtle
Gizzard
Muffaletta
Homemade beer
Tacos from a taco truck
Menudo
Ceviche

Things I should have consumed:
1. The Ghetto Burger (in Atlanta, in Decatur, or East Point, I think. 1 lb. burger with bacon, mayo...maybe a fried egg, all served in a hot and crowded little restaurant. My friend Will ate it and felt a bit sick...There's also a burger, served in the same area, that features a beef patty with a halved Krispy Kreme doughnut as the top and bottom buns...or maybe that's the Ghetto Burger. Whatever...they're both in Atlanta...if you want them.)
2. A TJ dog (dog, bacon, mayo)
3. The Damnit to Hell (A BBQ sandwich that used to be served in a little restaurant called The Tired Texan, near Legion Field (where the Tide used to play), in Birmingham, AL. Famous for the topping of incendiary peppers that made grown men and women weep precipitously.)
4. Budweiser with Clamato (Found at my former local Latino grocer in Pasadena, when I used to live there.)
5. Fugu (maybe someday...)

2 comments:

Huevos McGringo said...

that budweiser with clamato is available in athens. i've seen it in a couple places. scary/intriguing.

omelette said...

i stole your survey thing. www.xanga.com/summer_heat